Angra Dos Reis
There are plenty of beaches to explore along the coastline of Angra dos Reis and the 365 islands dotting the bay. Ilha Grande is the largest and most visited island, due to its trails, waterfalls, and pristine beaches, but additional highlights include the fish-filled waters around the Botinas islands, the lush rainforest trails on Gipóia, and the floating bars around Jurubaíba Beach and Praia do Dentista.
The best way to get around the islands is on a boat trip from Rio de Janeiro. Cruises typically make stops for swimming and snorkeling, as well as on various islands, to ensure that you make the most of your day and often include lunch and hotel transfers.
Things to Know Before You Go
A day trip to Angra Dos Rios is a great way to get out of the city and soak up nearby nature.
There are many area hotels, at various price points, should you wish to stay longer.
Tours to Angra Dos Reis from Rio de Janeiro typically include lunch as well as hotel transfers.
How to Get There
From Rio, it takes around three hours to traverse 97 miles (156 kilometers) to the city of Angra Dos Reis, the launching point for the islands—you can also get a bus directly from Rio. Ferries to Ilha Grande typically depart twice a day, taking 90 minutes, or you can charter a private boat. If you want to go island-hopping, it's easiest to take a tour.
When to Get There
Angra dos Reis is a year-round destination, but peak season is December to February when the weather is warmest. June to August offers milder temperatures, less rain, and fewer crowds.
If you have time to explore further down the coast, add on a trip to the nearby city of Paraty, a drive of about 1.5 hours from Angra Dos Reis. Paraty is home to one of Brazil’s best-preserved colonial centers, designated a National Historic Site, and sits between lush mountains and an island-studded bay. Many artists and writers live there, giving the city a bohemian atmosphere.
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Recreio dos Bandeirantes Beach
- Grumari Beach (Praia de Grumari)
- Prainha Beach
- Marapendi Natural Reserve (Parque Natural Municipal de Marapendi)
- Pedra da Gavea
- Tijuca National Park (Parque Nacional da Tijuca)
- Roberto Burle Marx Site (Sítio Roberto Burle Marx)
- Barra da Tijuca
- Rio de Janeiro Royal Palace (Paco Imperial)
- Teles Arch (Arco do Teles)
- Pepino Beach (Praia do Pepino)
- Pedra Bonita
- Sao Conrado Beach (Praia de Sao Conrado)
- Morro Dois Irmaos