This largely residential district has plenty to offer. It’s home to one of the city’s most popular shopping centers, Rio Sul, as well as museums, such as the Museum of Modern Art (MAM) and Oi Futuro Museum of telecommunications. Once the sun goes down, Praça São Salvador comes to life as a nightlife hot spot, complete with live music, street dancing, and al fresco drinking. View the neighborhood from the waters of Guanabara Bay on a sightseeing cruise.
Things to Know Before You Go
Flamengo is a must-visit for outdoor enthusiasts, art lovers, and those looking for a relaxed escape from Rio’s busier beaches.
The waters of Flamengo Beach are typically too polluted for swimming, so stick to the shore.
Flamengo offers a range of accommodations perfect for budget travelers.
How to Get There
Flamengo is located about 2 miles (3 kilometers) from the airport and 6 miles (10 kilometers) from Copacabana. To get there by public transportation, take the Rio metro to Flamengo Station.
When to Get There
The best time to visit Flamengo is on Sunday, when the main avenues are closed to traffic to allow residents to walk, bike, or play sports. While the neighborhood is largely safe by day, it still requires caution at night.
Flamengo is connected by a busy boulevard to the equally appealing neighborhood of Botafogo, once home to the city’s embassy row and currently home to the yacht club. Visit to sample its quirky bars and creative restaurants and to experience its decidedly hipster vibe.
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Rio de Janeiro Museum of Modern Art (Museu de Arte Moderna)
- Catete Palace (Palácio do Catete)
- Sao Joao Fort (Fortaleza de Sao Joao)
- Flamengo Park (Aterro do Flamengo)
- Glória Marina (Marina da Glória)
- Ruins Park (Parque das Ruínas)
- Chacara do Ceu Museum
- Sugarloaf Mountain (Pao de Açúcar)
- Santa Marta Favela
- Lapa Neighborhood
- Morro da Urca
- Red Beach (Praia Vermelha)
- Corcovado Train (Trem do Corcovado)