Prainha Beach is a prime surfing spot and is considered one of Rio's hidden gems, with a secluded bay, forested hills, and restaurants serving fresh seafood. Located in the Barra da Tijuca district, the beach is part of a protected rain forest area and is a lot less crowded than the famous Copacabana and Ipanema beaches. Along the shores, locals (Cariocas) surf and play Frescobol, a combination of beach volleyball and table tennis.
Day tours from downtown typically combine stops at Prainha Beach with nearby Grumari (a protected wildlife area), plus the Recreio and Abrico beaches. Private beach tours and photography tours can visit Prainha Beach along with the Casa do Pontal Museum, which houses a collection of Brazilian folk art.
Things to Know Before You Go
Prainha Beach is a must-see for nature lovers, surfers, and travelers wishing to escape the bustle of downtown Rio.
On the beach, kiosks serve sandwiches, juices, and acai bowls.
The neighboring Abrico Beach is Rio de Janeiro's only nudist beach.
How to Get There
Prainha Beach is located about 22 miles (35 kilometers) west of Rio's Ipanema neighborhood. While guided tours are an easy option, parking is available and you can arrive by car via Avenida Estado da Guanabara. A surf bus also travels between the beach and city center every three hours.
When to Get There
It's best to arrive earlier in the day to enjoy the sun, as the hill behind the beach starts casting a shadow in the afternoon. Weekdays find Prainha almost deserted, but weekends can get crowded.
Staying Near Prainha Beach
There are no hotels at Prainha Beach, but it is an easy day trip from central Rio. The closest hotels are located at the nearby Grumari Beach, which is typically more crowded.
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Grumari Beach (Praia de Grumari)
- Marapendi Natural Reserve (Parque Natural Municipal de Marapendi)
- Tijuca National Park (Parque Nacional da Tijuca)
- Barra da Tijuca
- Roberto Burle Marx Site (Sítio Roberto Burle Marx)
- Pedra da Gavea
- Recreio dos Bandeirantes Beach
- Pepino Beach (Praia do Pepino)
- Teles Arch (Arco do Teles)
- Rio de Janeiro Royal Palace (Paco Imperial)
- Sao Conrado Beach (Praia de Sao Conrado)
- Pedra Bonita
- Morro Dois Irmaos
- Moreira Salles Institute (Instituto Moreira Salles)