Quinta da Boa Vista Park (Parque da Quinta da Boa Vista)
Come to Quinta da Boa Vista Park to stroll the scenic trails, picnic on grassy lawns, and rent a paddleboat to explore the lake and grottos. Additional attractions include the National Museum of Brazil (currently closed while undergoing restoration after a fire in 2018); the Unicirco circus, which hosts performances on weekend afternoons in summer; and the RioZoo, home to more than 1,300 species of animals, including Bengal tigers, lions, hippos, sloths, and crocodiles.
Things to Know Before You Go
The park is free; entrance fees apply for the National Museum and RioZoo.
Facilities at the park include paid parking, restrooms, two restaurants, and a number of food stalls.
The park—located in a neighborhood that may not be safe for travelers—has on-site security guards; it’s recommended to stay within the park boundaries.
The park is accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
Quinta da Boa Vista park is located in the São Cristóvão neighbourhood, just north of downtown Rio. The easiest way to reach the park is to take the subway—the park is right across the street from São Cristovão station.
When to Get There
The park is open daily from morning to early evening. The best time to visit the park is on weekends, when it’s full of local families—arrive mid-morning to secure the best picnic spots. The park can be quiet on weekday mornings, and you may prefer to visit with a guide at these times as a safety precaution.
Rio’s Parks and Gardens
Surrounded by beautiful beaches and lush rainforest, Rio de Janeiro has no shortage of green spaces to explore. Head to the Rio Botanical Gardens to admire more than 6,500 plant species and 140-plus exotic bird species; take a stroll beneath Sugarloaf Mountain in Flamengo Park; or hike the Tijuca Forest National Park, the world’s largest urban forest.
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- RioZoo (Jardim Zoológico do Rio de Janeiro)
- Maracana Stadium (Estádio do Maracana)
- Rio de Janeiro Cruise Port (Terminal Internacional de Cruzeiros)
- Sambadrome (Sambadrome Marques de Sapucaí)
- Samba City (Cidade do Samba)
- AquaRio Aquarium
- Rio Scenarium
- Rio Art Museum (Museu de Arte do Rio)
- Saara Shopping District (Polo Saara)
- Rio de Janeiro Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana de Sao Sebastiao)
- Chacara do Ceu Museum
- Ruins Park (Parque das Ruínas)
- Lapa Neighborhood
- Sao Francisco da Penitencia Church (Igreja Sao Francisco da Penitencia)
- Museum of Tomorrow (Museu do Amanha)