San Diego Automotive Museum
The San Diego Automotive Museum offers activities for the whole family. Young kids can get behind the wheel of a stripped-down race car and hop aboard a full-sized motorcycle, while visitors of all ages can enjoy the museum’s collections and exhibits. There’s also a section on general automotive history, a 1928 Studebaker barn find, and a look at San Diego’s historic Plank Road.
For those who want to save money, entry is included in a discounted multi-attraction pass.
Things to Know Before You Go
Expect to spend about an hour exploring the exhibits.
Buy your tickets in advance to avoid waiting in line at the ticket booth.
Arrive early if you want to take advantage of the museum’s limited parking.
Set aside some time to visit the other attractions in Balboa Park.
How to Get There
There are several ways to reach the Automotive Museum, located in Balboa Park. Ride the Route 120, Route 7, or Rapid 215 bus through the park. If you're driving, take Park Boulevard to Presidents Way and continue straight through the intersection with Pan American Road.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily to visitors, and there isn’t really a bad time to visit. If you want to avoid the crowds, arrive in the morning and expect to spend about an hour exploring the exhibits. The museum is closed during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day.
Balboa Park Attractions
With museums and attractions, such as the California Tower and the San Diego Zoo, there’s no shortage of things to do in Balboa Park. Set aside some time to stroll through the gardens and grab a bite to eat at one of the outdoor cafes. Highlights include the Spanish Village Art Center, the Old Globe Theater, and the San Diego Air and Space Museum.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Nevada
- San Diego Sports Association
- San Diego Air & Space Museum
- Spreckels Organ Pavilion
- Balboa Park
- Japanese Friendship Garden
- San Diego Museum of Man (SDMM)
- Mingei International Museum
- El Prado
- Old Globe Theater
- San Diego Museum of Art (SDMA)
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum (SDMRM)
- Museum of Photographic Arts
- San Diego History Center
- Fleet Science Center
- San Diego Natural History Museum (The Nat)